Calico Club offers homemade buildings
Monday November 25, 2013 | By:Amy Botsford |
The Calico Club, a local non-profit service organization made up of area women, has been in existence for more than 40 years. During that time, we have raised money for and contributed to many local charities. Each year, we provide a scholarship to a Springville-Griffith Institute senior, who will be majoring in education.
Some of you may be familiar with the many wooden buildings that have been available, over the years. These collectibles depict historically significant and locally important establishments familiar to Springville residents. There is even a car, made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of “The Great Race,” and the participation of our own George Schuster.
The latest building, 13th in the series, is a depiction of the Springville Center for the Arts, formerly the Baptist church. The building was constructed in 1869, and was used as a church until 2005, when it became an office and private residence. In 2007, having been abandoned by the owner, it was taken over by the Springville Center for the Arts, and continues to undergo renovation.
All buildings are limited editions. The current building, as well as limited numbers of past buildings, are available for purchase at these local businesses: Springville Mercantile, Springville HomeWear and Arts Underground.
These wooden collectibles make great holiday gifts. Please stop into one of the previously mentioned businesses, support our local economy and help support The Calico Club, as we provide assistance for local charities and families.
Calico Club Recording Secretary