SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE — Representatives from the three Boston fire companies signed their ratified contracts at the Sept. 18 board meeting. Photo by Matt Sargeant.
BOSTON — After weeks of negotiation, followed by weeks of securing approval for the fire contracts in the town of Boston, the agreement officially culminated on Sept. 18 at the Boston town board meeting, when board members and representatives from each of the town’s three fire companies signed off on their contracts. After gaining approval from their members, representatives from the Boston Fire Company, North Boston Fire Company and Patchin Fire company approved the contracts. Russel Metcalf was present for the BFC, Robert Pollinger for NBFC and William Schwab signed off for PFC.
“Two meetings ago, the town board itself approved the content and form of the contract that was offered to the fire companies and reported at the last meeting that they had been presented,” said Councilman Jay Boardway. “The offers were there; the companies were individually meeting, in their own halls, to bring these contracts to a vote with their membership. I’m very pleased to announce that all three fire companies have agreed to ratify the contract, as written. This is a tremendous effort by the representatives from the three fire companies that met with Supervisor [Martin] Ballowe, myself and the town attorney [Michael Kobiolka], on multiple occasions, to put a package together that benefits both the taxpayers in this town and the fire service.”
The contracts will continue for two years, during which the board members said they are “very confident” that it will be able “to put a nice plan together.”
“We think it’s going to work,” said Boardway.
In other board matters:
– Dana Darling and Joe Gauthier, developers for the Brookfield Patio Homes project, were present at the meeting to seek site plan approval. Attorney Sean Hopkins spoke on their behalf.
“We did meet with the planning board, last week. They issued a positive recommendation by unanimous vote. We were very pleased by that. Mr. Darling and Mr. Gauthier look forward to beginning commencement of the construction of the project, as soon as possible,” he said. “What we envision, in terms of phase one, is that it will hopefully be two, seven-unit buildings. They’re all single-story, and, as we’ve said previously, the target market for these units are, No. 1: Seniors – we think the single-story footprint will be very attractive to seniors; No. 2: Young professionals looking for nice, new housing, but not yet ready to buy a home, and then anyone else who is interested in downsizing – they want to stay in Boston, [but] they no longer want a house, they no longer want to maintain a big yard, they no longer want to pay big property taxes. This would be a perfect home for them.”
The approval was granted by the board, under two conditions: a review of the plan by the PFC and that “all required permits be in order as specified in Town Engineer James Hannon’s letter, dated Aug. 7, 2013.” These conditions were listed in a letter by Boston Planning Board Chairman David Stringfellow’s letter to the board.
“These gentlemen have done a fantastic job,” said Boardway. “They’ve done diligent, perfect work, to meet every specification this town requires. It’s obviously going to add a tax base to this town, which we all need,” he continued. “This town has been able to keep your taxes going down for four years. This is why: projects such as this, that add to that tax base.”
– The board passed Resolution 2013-12: Establishment of Feddick Road Speed Limit. “We need to establish a speed limit on Feddick Road,” said Councilman Larry Murtha, “much the same way we did with Keller Road.”
The requested speed limit is 45 mph, and the resolution calls for “a traffic speed and safety study [to] be conducted for the entire length of Feddick Road.”
– Ballowe addressed correspondence concerning a “pedestrian accident” in the Boston Town Park. “I guess a parent let his foot off the brake and bumped a young child, hit him [and] he fell over,” said Ballowe. “The child’s OK. The board is collectively happy that Collin [Delarosa] didn’t suffer any concussions and we’re thankful that tragedy was avoided.”
He reported that the board has taken steps to put speed bumps, barriers and paint lines in that area, and that the board is considering additional signs and barriers.
– The board moved to appoint Richard Bronx to an additional year as a planning consultant, for the planning board. “He’s an expert on our comprehensive plan and he is very economical,” said Genzel.
The board voted to approve Bronx to that position at a wage of $220 per meeting, with a 10-meeting minimum.
– Genzel announced the resignation from the planning board of Tony Zeniuk. “He is our recreation director and he feels he just doesn’t have the time to put in to both of these boards,” said Genzel. Zeniuk’s resignation was accepted, effective immediately.
– The board granted approval for an additional accessory storage building at 6504 Chestnut Lane. “The accessory building size and location meet the requirements of the Boston Zoning Code,” said Code Enforcement Officer William Fergusson, via correspondence.
The next Boston Town Board meeting is scheduled for Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. All board meetings are held at the Boston Town Hall, located at 8500 Boston State Road in Boston.