WVCS Board approves 2013-14 budget and property tax report card
Monday April 29, 2013 | By:Justin Graham | News
[photo1]WEST VALLEY —The West Valley Central School Board of Education officially adopted its 2013-14 budget, in the amount of $8,789,841, during its April 23 meeting.
The board also approved the property tax report card. The tax levy increase for 2013-14 will remain at 2 percent and the budget increase will remain at 2.09 percent, for 2013-14. The tax levy amount is $3,253,939.
The total calculation of other tax revenues, without tax levy consideration, is $426,416. The total state aid is $ 4,456,837.
Business Official Ann O’Brien said that copies of the budget must be available for the public, by May 7. These may be obtained from the district office.
O’Brien said, “Areas will be attached to the budget, including the fiscal accountability supplement, part of the school report card and the exemption impact report. We need to keep our substitute teachers under certain hours [measurement period], so they can avoid paying for health insurance.”
Board Member Michael Frascella asked Principal Dan Amodeo how the district would be affected, by students’ opting out of mandating field tests. “New York state regulates these tests and the district cannot decide for opting out,” Amodeo said. “However, the district and the state recognize the fact that students may refuse to take the exams. Therefore, the student wouldn’t receive a valid score and it would not count for the school’s participation rate.”
The principal said that, if fewer than 95 percent of the school’s students participated in these mandated field tests, “this may affect one’s accountability status and/or [annual yearly progress].”
Amodeo confirmed that the West Valley District has tested all but two students.
In other board news:
– The board members each cast one vote for a BOCES board candidate, in each of their designated district areas. All candidates will serve a three-year term.
Those candidates included Gilbert Green, running unopposed in Area 3: Belfast, Cuba-Rushford and Fillmore; Stephen Kowalski with Robert Keenan, running for Area 7: Franklinville, Hinsdale and West Valley and Maxine Dowler, running unopposed for Area 8: Salamanca and Pioneer.
– The school calendar will be changed, to reflect a district-wide day off on May 24, due to an unused snow day.
– A facilities use request for the varsity softball team’s sleepover in the school, April 26 and 27, was approved, for team building.
– The 2013-14 Cattaraugus-Allegany-Erie-Wyoming BOCES administration budget was approved.
– Voter registration day will be held on May 8 from 3 – 7 p.m., in the school foyer.
The next West Valley Central School Board meeting will be held on May 13 in the school library, following the annual budget hearing in the auditorium at 7 p.m.