West Valley Central School District is ready for the next school year
Wednesday July 17, 2013 | By:Justin Graham | News
WEST VALLEY — The West Valley Central School High School graduation was held June 22, officially wrapping up the 2012-13 school year.
The district has turned its focus onto summer events and preparations for the next school year.
During the West Valley Board of Education meeting on July 2, Superintendent Eric Lawton reported that the all of the needed summer positions for the school grounds were filled and the individuals are ready to go.
“We also received the potential listing of items for our building project,” he said. “Some of the items are necessary, such as roofing, but adjustments could be made, once the items are sent by [request for proposal], due to state safety laws.”
Principal Dan Amodeo announced that the school has received some responses for its summer reading program and will contact any of the families that have not responded. This will finalize the status of participation.
The program is currently aimed toward students’ moving into first, second and third grades.
Business Official Ann O’Brien announced that “we are focused on the process of finalizing salaried positions, as well as health insurance, and we are also awaiting the audit and state aid reports.”
Additional reports about this item will be announced in August, once more information is available and made public.
Newly-elected Board Member Brad Frank was administered the oath of office. Frank will take the formal position of BOE clerk, as well as will current Board Member Teaseleman Jackson-McCarty.
Mike Frascella was named the board president and George Kazmierczak was appointed vice president.
In other board matters:
– Jodi Theil, Kelly Hansen, Kristopher Fuller, Reann Ehman, Kate Morris, Jason Kearney, Kelly Blackmon, Lesley Durandetto, Helen Davis, Christopher Enser, Mike Piatek, Jolene Wulff, Jamie Baldwin, Sarah Koch, Stephen Vant, Virginia Siepel, Angie Wittman, Diana Frank, Amy Frank, Mychelle McNeil-Wedvik, Kristi Haun and Phillip Gorlewski were approved as substitute teachers for the 2013-14 school year.
– April Preston was appointed as athletic director.
– The annual stipend was approved to William Sloand, the New York state water systems operator for the 2013-14 year.
– The West Valley School District will invite the community into the library for 1 1/2 hours on Wednesday evenings, during the summer and during the school year, except when the school is closed.
– The board approved Linda Kay as district treasurer.
– Patricia Dashnaw was named the tax collector and Bonnie Frank was named central treasurer.
– The board approved Carolyn Boberg as district clerk and O’Brien as deputy district treasurer.
– Dr. Lori Hudzinski from General Physicians, formerly Concord Medical Group, was named the school physician for the next school year.
– The board approved James Howe as the chemical hygiene and risk management coordinator.
– John Seltzer was named the internal claims auditor, with Dashnaw as the deputy claims auditor.
– Kay and Beth Roy from the school library will be assigned $100, for petty cash funds, pursuant to Regulation 1703.
– Lawton was appointed the reviewing official for the Federal Child Nutrition Program, at no additional salary.
– The 2013-14 school and board of education calendar was finalized.
The next West Valley Central School Board of Education meeting will be held on Monday, July 15 at 7 p.m.
BOSTON — At its most recent assembly, the Boston town board bid farewell to...
COLLINS — At the Jan. 21 meeting of the Collins town board, workshop discussions...
SPRINGVILLE — Revitalize Springville has endorsed Samantha Skura and Robert...