West Valley Central School improvements in the works
Tuesday November 27, 2012 | By:Jeff Martin | News
WEST VALLEY — West Valley School Board members met on Nov. 19 to discuss business, prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.
Prior to the meeting, Superintendent Eric Lawton led board members on a tour of the school, to explain which locations needed to have work done.
Lawton said that the district should be precise about what improvements need to be done and be cautious about what money it spends. “We need to protect our investment,” he said, “but, at the same time, keep to the bottom line.”
In the past, Lawton had mentioned windows that need to be replaced. During the Nov. 19 board meeting, he also spoke about leaks, located throughout the building. Improvements to the facility are part of what Lawton called a “building project,” though specifics are still forthcoming, from the school.
In other board news:
– The board approved several updates to board policies, including those designating appointments and designations by the board; duties of the school physician/nurse practitioner; budget planning and development; district budget hearings; budget adoption; contingency budget; fire drills, bomb threats and bus emergency drills; fingerprinting clearance of new hires; sports and athletic programs; student physical and the notification of sex offenders.
Lawton explained that the policy on sex offenders covers the requirements offenders must meet, in order to gain access to school property for budget votes only. Offenders must obtain written permission from parole officers and the school superintendent, prior to entering school grounds.
– The board approved the resignation of substitute teachers/aides Erika Davis, Douglas Teelak, Amanda Williams and Marshall McCarty.
– Daniel Adanti was approved as an adult mentor volunteer and James Howe’s position was changed from day cleaner to head cleaner.
– Ryan Keem was accepted as the boys’ modified basketball coach for the 2012 – 13 winter season. Amy Butler will be the girls elementary basketball coach.
– Kristopher Fuller was approved as the boys’ elementary basketball coach.
– The board accepted Helen Davis as a volunteer, to continue the Special Friends Program.
– A donation of a computer monitor from Kathleen Vacanti to the school district was accepted.
– A donation of the Steffi Crosser product to be used on school buses by drivers, from Mr. and Mrs. Bob Neumann and family, was accepted. The product assists children, as they cross the streets at night.
– The board approved the senior class trip to Virginia Beach, to take place from May 3 – 5.
– The board authorized the use of the school building for residents to exercise in from 7 – 8 a.m. and 3 – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, during the school year.
The next West Valley Central School meeting will be held on Dec. 10 at 7 p.m.